Friday, July 3, 2015

The Likely Murder of Asia Bibi

Here is a portion of Chapter XV from the Pakistan Penal Code, 'OF OFFENCES RELATING TO RELIGION' --

https://archive.is/9pil
http://www.pakistani.org/pakistan/legislation/1860/actXLVof1860.html
http://www.pakistani.org/pakistan/legislation/1860/actXLVof1860.html#f105

OF OFFENCES RELATING TO RELIGION


295.Injuring or defiling place of worship, with Intent to insult the religion of any class:
Whoever destroys, damages or defiles any place of worship, or any object held sacred by any class of persons with the intention of thereby insulting the religion of any class of persons or with the knowledge that any class of persons is likely to consider such destruction damage or defilement as an insult to their religion. shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both.
 106[
295-A.Deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting Its religion or religious beliefs:
Whoever, with deliberate and malicious intention of outraging the 'religious feelings of any class of the citizens of Pakistan, by words, either spoken or written, or by visible representations insults the religion or the religious beliefs of that class, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, or with fine, or with both.
] 106
 107[
295-B.Defiling, etc., of Holy Qur'an:
Whoever wilfully defiles, damages or desecrates a copy of the Holy Qur'an or of an extract therefrom or uses it in any derogatory manner or for any unlawful purpose shall be punishable with imprisonment for life.
] 107
 108[
295-C.Use of derogatory remarks, etc., in respect of the Holy Prophet:
Whoever by words, either spoken or written, or by visible representation or by any imputation, innuendo, or insinuation, directly or indirectly, defiles the sacred name of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life, and shall also be liable to fine.
. . .


It should come as no surprise that such laws would be exploited to target religious minorities in Pakistan (any non-Muslim).  It is obvious that that is the only effect such laws can have, given that no individual suffers any harm from the destruction of a book or the condemnation of its contents (religious or not) — such laws legalize and sanction persecution for the expression of a minority opinion.

The Pakistani newspaper 'Dawn' reported in August of 2013 that no one has been executed as a result of the Pakistani blasphemy laws, but 51 people have been murdered after being accused, before their trials were over

https://archive.is/uxZQ2
http://www.dawn.com/news/750512/timeline-accused-under-the-blasphemy-law
According to sources , 51 people accused of blasphemy were murdered before their respective trials were over.  However, the death sentence has never been implemented.


The same story at the link above at 'Dawn'  also states that there has been a dramatic increase in the number of blasphemy cases in Pakistan since 1986, when the blasphemy laws were added to Pakistan's Constitution.  From 1986 to 2010, 1,274 people were charged with blasphemy, whereas prior to 1986 there were only 14 reported cases

http://www.dawn.com/news/750512/timeline-accused-under-the-blasphemy-law
An estimated number of 1,274 people have been charged under the stringent blasphemy laws of Pakistan between 1986, from when they were included in the Constitution by General Zia ul Haq, until 2010.

Pakistan’s Penal Code Section dates back to pre-partition India when it was introduced in 1860.  Section 295, better known as the Blasphemy Law, deals with religious offences and was meant to prevent religious violence.  Prior to 1986, only 14 cases pertaining to blasphemy were reported.


In addition, 'Dawn'  gives a timeline beginning in 1990 of a laundry list of some of the absurd Pakistani blasphemy cases.  Consider the insane statement, in the second paragraph quoted below, from a 1992 judgement from the Pakistani judge Talib Hussain Baloch, who has the terrible distinction of being the first Pakistani judge to issue a death sentence for blasphemy.  Baloch sentenced someone to death based on a single accusation that was directly contradicted by other witnesses —

http://www.dawn.com/news/750512/timeline-accused-under-the-blasphemy-law
Gul and his brother Bashir were arrested on charges of blasphemy but Bashir was released due to lack of evidence against him and after villagers went to the police station to protest the innocence of the Masih family.  In court, out of three eye witnesses, only the complainant accused Gul of blasphemy while the other two denied that they had heard or seen him do anything blasphemous.

Despite that, judge Talib Hussain Baloch sentenced him to death in 1992, making his case the first in Pakistan where the accused was put on death row.  Baloch said in his judgement, “since Sajjad Hussain (the accuser) is a young man of 21, a student of B.A. and a true Muslim with a beard on his face and a good outlook, I find no reason to disbelieve him.”

Bashir was unable to find a job after this incident and reports say that Gul was tortured in prison. He was eventually acquitted but had to seek asylum in Germany.


One of the blasphemy cases included in the long list provided by 'Dawn'  is that of Asia Bibi.   In November of 2010, at the age of 45, Asia Bibi was sentenced to death by a Pakistani judge for the charge of blasphemy, as the result of an accusation from some Muslim women who were angry because Bibi, who is a Christian, drank from a village wellsince Muslims consider Christians to be unclean.

Here is a CNN story regarding Asia Bibi's case from November of 2010.  Notice that the Muslim cleric who filed the complaint against Asia Bibi was reported to have been overjoyed at hearing of Asia's death sentence — he is quoted as saying: 'Tears of joy poured from my eyes'.   Also notice that many of the Pakistani villagers familiar with Asia's case think that Asia should be executed.   So much for Islam being a religion of peace


In August of 2013, Asia Bibi published a memoir of her ordeal, entitled 'Blasphemy: A Memoir: Sentenced to Death Over a Cup of Water' —
      http://www.amazon.com/Blasphemy-Memoir-Sentenced-Death-Water/dp/1613748892

Here is a partial quote from Asia Bibi's memoir, in which she describes the events leading up to her arrest in June 2009 --

http://nypost.com/2013/08/25/sentenced-to-death-for-a-sip-of-water/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../pakistani-christian-woman-sentenced-death-blasphemy-...-muslim-neighbours-loses-appeal.html
...
I’m the victim of a cruel, collective injustice.

I’ve been locked up, handcuffed and chained, banished from the world and waiting to die.  I don’t know how long I’ve got left to live.  Every time my cell door opens my heart beats faster.  My life is in God’s hands and I don’t know what’s going to happen to me.  It’s a brutal, cruel existence.  But I am innocent.  I’m guilty only of being presumed guilty.  I’m starting to wonder whether being a Christian in Pakistan today is not just a failing, or a mark against you, but actually a crime.

But though I’m kept in a tiny, windowless cell, I want my voice and my anger to be heard.  I want the whole world to know that I’m going to be hanged for helping my neighbor.  I’m guilty of having shown someone sympathy.  What did I do wrong?  I drank water from a well belonging to Muslim women, using “their” cup, in the burning heat of the midday sun.

I, Asia Bibi, have been sentenced to death because I was thirsty. I’m a prisoner because I used the same cup as those Muslim women, because water served by a Christian woman was regarded as unclean by my stupid fellow fruit-pickers.

That day, June 14, 2009, is imprinted on my memory.  I can still see every detail.

That morning I got up earlier than usual, to take part in the big falsa-berry harvest.  I’d been told about it by Farah, our lovely local shopkeeper.  “Why don’t you go falsa picking tomorrow in that field just outside the village?  You know the one; it belongs to the Nadeems, the rich family who live in Lahore.  The pay is 250 rupees.”
. . .

The sun was beating down, and by midday it was like working in an oven.  I was dripping with sweat and I could hardly think or move for the suffocating heat.  In my mind, I could see the river beside my village.  If only I could have jumped into that cool water!

But since the river was nowhere near, I freed myself from my bushes and walked over to the nearby well.  Already I could sense the coolness rising up from the depths.

I pull up a bucketful of water and dip in the old metal cup resting on the side of the well.  The cool water is all I can think of.  I gulp it down and I feel better; I pull myself together.

Then I start to hear muttering.  I pay no attention and fill the cup again, this time holding it out to a woman next to me who looks like she’s in pain.  She smiles and reaches out . . . At exactly the moment Musarat pokes her ferrety nose out from the bush, her eyes full of hate:

    “Don’t drink that water, it’s haram!”

Musarat addresses all the pickers, who have suddenly stopped work at the sound of the word “haram,” the Islamic term for anything forbidden by God.

“Listen, all of you, this Christian has dirtied the water in the well by drinking from our cup and dipping it back several times.  Now the water is unclean and we can’t drink it!  Because of her!”

It’s so unfair that for once I decide to defend myself and stand up to the old witch.

“I think Jesus would see it differently from Mohammed.”

Musarat is furious.  “How dare you think for the Prophet, you filthy animal!”

Three other women start shouting even louder.

“That’s right, you’re just a filthy Christian!  You’ve contaminated our water and now you dare speak for the Prophet!  Stupid bitch, your Jesus didn’t even have a proper father, he was a bastard, don’t you know that.”

Musarat comes over as though she’s going to hit me and yells: “You should convert to Islam to redeem yourself for your filthy religion.”

I feel a pain deep inside.  We Christians have always stayed silent: We’ve been taught since we were babies never to say anything, to keep quiet because we’re a minority.  But I’m stubborn too and now I want to react, I want to defend my faith.  I take a deep breath and fill my lungs with courage.

“I’m not going to convert.  I believe in my religion and in Jesus Christ, who died on the cross for the sins of mankind.  What did your Prophet Mohammed ever do to save mankind?  And why should it be me that converts instead of you?”

That’s when the hatred bursts from all side.  All around me the women start screaming.  One of them grabs my bowl and tips the berries into her own.  Another one shoves and Musarat spits in my face with all the scorn she can manage.  A foot lashes out and they push me. Even when I run home, I can still hear them complaining.

Five days later, I went to work fruit picking in another field.  I’ve almost filled my bowl when I hear what sounds like a rioting crowd.  I step back from my bush, wondering what’s going on, and in the distance I see dozens of men and women striding along towards our field, waving their arms in the air.

I catch the cruel eyes of Musarat.  Her expression is self-righteous and full of scorn.  I shiver as I suddenly realize that she hasn’t let it go.  I can tell she’s out for revenge.  The excited crowd are closer now; they are coming into the field and now they’re standing in front of me, threatening and shouting.

“Filthy bitch!   We’re taking you back to the village!   You insulted our Prophet!   You’ll pay for that with your life!”

They all start yelling:

    “Death!   Death to the Christian!”
...


Here is Asia Bibi's husband, Ashiq Masih, with two of his daughters, and the former Pakistani Minister of Minority Affairs, Shahbaz Bhatti --

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2403773/Christian-woman-Asia-Bibi-jailed-Pakistan-using-Muslim-womens-cup...html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../pakistani-christian-woman-sentenced-death-blasphemy-...-muslim-neighbours-loses-appeal.html


The former Pakistani Minister of Minority Affairs in the photo above, Shahbaz Bhatti, was murdered in Islamabad on March 2, 2011, for defending Christians, and for being an advocate for reform of Pakistan's insane blasphemy laws.  Bhatti is reported to have received death threats beginning in 2009, for speaking in defense of Christians —
     http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-12617562
     http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/02/pakistan-minister-shot-dead-islamabad

And on January 4, 2011, the former governor of Pakistan's Punjab province, Salman Taseer, was murdered by one of his own security team members, also as a result of his opposition to Pakistan's blasphemy laws, and for defending Asia Bibi —
     http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-12111831

Here is Asia Bibi with Salman Taseer in 2010, not long before he was murdered --

http://www.smh.com.au/world/as-asia-bibi-waits-on-death-row-pakistans-blasphemy-laws-in-spotlight-as-deaths-...html
Asia Bibi and Salman Taseer in 2010


Here are Asia Bibi's daughters in 2010, with a picture of Asia --

http://nypost.com/2013/08/25/sentenced-to-death-for-a-sip-of-water/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2403773/Christian-woman-Asia-Bibi-jailed-Pakistan-using-Muslim-womens-cup...html
http://www.smh.com.au/world/as-asia-bibi-waits-on-death-row-pakistans-blasphemy-laws-in-spotlight-as-deaths-...html
Asia Bibi's three daughters, with a photo of Asia Bibi


Sadly, now it is being reported that Asia Bibi may not have long to live, since she is suffering from intestinal bleeding and is so weak she can barely walk —
    http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/asia-bibi-suffering-from-intestinal-bleeding-in-pakistan-prison-45516/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/Christian-woman-sentenced-death-...-five-years-imprisonment-left-intestinal-bleeding.html

This isn't surprising, given that it was previously reported that there is a price on Asia's head, and that she has repeatedly been beaten in prison —

http://www.smh.com.au/world/as-asia-bibi-waits-on-death-row-pakistans-blasphemy-laws-in-spotlight-as-deaths-...html
Enraged by what he heard, the cleric, Muhammad Salam, publicly denounced Bibi, inciting mobs across the district demanding her arrest. After five days, local police placed Bibi under arrest and in November 2010 she was found guilty in the district court and sentenced to death by hanging.

That wasn't enough for some. One cleric promised 500,000 rupees (about $6000) to anyone who would kill her in jail.

"I live in a confined cell," Bibi said in an interview with a Christian rights group in 2011. "I am allowed to go out for only 30 minutes every day and allowed to meet my family for one hour every Tuesday."

Bibi is given raw food so she can cook for herself for fears she might be poisoned - in 2011 a female prison guard at the jail was suspended after she tried to strangle Bibi - and she has reportedly suffered numerous beatings.


In her memoir, Asia Bibi was being much too polite when she referred to her accusers as 'my stupid fellow fruit-pickers'
the word 'stupid' does not begin to do justice to this grotesque tribal savagery.

Even if Asia Bibi is acquitted and released from prison, she will have to live in hiding to avoid being murdered, unless she can somehow escape from Pakistan with her family, since not only does she have a price on her head, her family regularly receives death threats —
     http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31092447

It is a pity that those that could help raise awareness about the plight of some of Islam's victims, are too busy trying to be politically correct with claims that anyone who would dare criticize Islam is racist or bigoted.

No comments:

Post a Comment